JAWS Scripts for the Online Bible Program
The Online Bible allows the reading and studying of multiple Bible versions, including Strong’s numbers with Greek and Hebrew lexicons.
Larry Pierce, the author of the Online Bible , has from the beginning been interested in the accessibility of his program. In this spirit, he has made it possible for blind users to use their screen readers to navigate the read-only edit boxes and has implemented other features to make the Online Bible keyboard aware. It is of utmost importance that you install screen reader support when you install this program. Mr. Pierce has consulted with users and computer programmers with vision loss to implement this support and has done a good job. The Online Bible scripts work in conjunction with Mr. Pierce’s screen reader support to try to provide as friendly and streamlined an experience as possible for users of JAWS for Windows.
- Download and instal the latest version of the Online Bible program by visiting the Online Bible website at www.onlinebible.net, clicking on the “Downloads” link, and searching for the starter pack. You might be asked to restart your computer before and/or after the installation.
- Download the latest scripts by clicking either of the following links:
- Run the executable installer and follow the instructions, or extract the Zip archive to the appropriate user settings directory for your JAWS version and language.
Using the Scripts
Use the following hotkeys in the Online Bible:
- >li>Prior word and next word commands are a little different in the Online Bible. Control+Shift+Left Arrow and Control+Shift+Right arrow move to the prior word and next word respectively.>/li>
- Also use the traditional NumPad 4 and NumPad 5 desktop keystrokes to navigate by word.
- Also use the traditional JAWSKey+J and JAWSKey+L laptop keystrokes to navigate by word.
- PriorVerse: Control+Left Arrow
- PriorVerseLaptop: Control+JAWSKey+J
- SayCurrentVerse: Control+Shift+V
- SayCurrentVerseLaptop: Control+JAWSKey+K
- NextVerse: Control+Right Arrow
- NextVerseLaptop: Control+JAWSKey+L
- PriorChapter: Control+PageUp
- NextChapter: Control+PageDown
- CopyCurrentVerseToClipboard: Control+Shift+C
How the Scripts work
With the exception of ReadCurrentVerse and CopyCurrentVerse, the above scripts merely add speech to the keyboard commands that the Online Bible program author has included in the package. The author of these scripts felt it best to take this approach rather than implement new keyboard commands, as it provides consistency and simplifies the process of scripting an application that already has built-in keyboard commands. However, if you feel more comfortable with traditional JAWS commands, those are also available for desktop and laptop navigation.
If you've been navigating by line and try to use any of the verse navigation keystrokes, you might find that JAWS is repeating the same verse. Try moving to the beginning of a verse with the up or down arrow and then pressing Home. JAWS seems to have a little trouble tracking the cursor in the Online Bible, and this should stabilize things for you.
Strong’s Numbers and Footnotes
You can expose Strong’s numbers or footnotes in the King James Version or other versions that provide this feature by pressing the letters S and F respectively and hide them by pressing the letters S and F again. ReadCurrentVerse, CopyCurrentVerse, and the verse navigation commands will respect the Strong’s numbers and footnotes settings. Exposing footnotes is especially useful when using the Interlinear Greek New Testament (IGNT) module, which is downloadable from the Online Bible website.